Saturday, November 8, 2008

charitable or sucker?

The other day I was on my trip to Goodwill to drop off some nice donations. I slowed in the parking lot and a lady ran up to my car. I only rolled my window down an inch. She asked if I had a couple of dollars she had come over here for a job interview and needed money to get home. I'm a sucker! I dig through my purse for a couple of dollars, all in change of course. Who carries cash these days?
I continue with my donations and as I pull out I see she is hitting up everyone in the parking lot.
Does that cheapen my donation? She is just begging for money, that probably is the job she was referring to.
I think I'll find a new place to donate, because I don't feel good about that experience.

3 comments:

Deena said...

Nope, you still get credit for it.

Physcokity said...

Just go earlier in the day ;)

Shawn and Mish said...

I always fall for them too. Can't judge someone's heart so I always end up giving them a few dollars. I think it's better to give just a little.
(although, I only roll down my window for the firefighters at intersections....those others who are out 'collecting for blahblahblah' make me a little wary)